The middle grades present unique opportunities and challenges, a set of considerations that the Goochland Middle School team has identified and embraced to create an environment that renders teaching and learning personalized, relevant, rigorous, and engaging. Faculty members approach every instructional day with student-focused urgency. Students approach every day with excitement and an understanding of how their experiences at school connect to their own past, present, and future.To view the Goochland Middle School Apple Book, click the appropriate image below.
|iBooks Version||PDF Version|
GMS staff challenges all students to use their minds fully and well.
- #1 in Reading performance, #1 in Math performance, #1 in History performance, #2 in Science performance based on 2015 SOL results compared to central Virginia middle schools with comparable division enrollments
- Eagle Evolution transition program provides students an excellent first foot into middle school, prepared for success
- Various levels of course offerings providing individualized learning
- Grades 6-7 this year participating in the division’s 1:1 program with iPads focused on deeper learning, and recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program
- Schoology used throughout the school to support a blended learning model providing access to virtual, social learning space, facilitating increased feedback from teachers and peers, and support for parent viewing of course content and teacher feedback
- Student growth is a priority that becomes a discussion topic at grade level meetings, with teacher planning towards intervention and enrichment opportunities during Eagle Block
- Faculty meetings are utilized to deliver needs-based professional development opportunities to teachers and staff based on a variety of data metrics
GMS staff are sensitive to the unique developmental challenges of early adolescence.
- Academic Career Plans provide framework for course selection based upon student needs and interests
- Student voices support academics and school culture through participation in student government, bullying program, and through extra-curricular clubs
- School focus on character, emotional & social growth, and continuous self-assessment to ensure perpetual evolution
- Our mentoring program supports the developmental needs of all students
Organizational Structures & Processes
This school’s administration has established strong norms, structures, and organizational arrangements to support and sustain their trajectory toward excellence.
- School’s staff and students are focused around the yearly theme, CORE of the Matter with a focus on Community, Ownership, Relevance, and Engagement
- Rich set of decision-making opportunities for students supported by our division’s five core values: Excellence, Creativity, Courage, Honor, and Optimism (ECCHO) with opportunities for recognition by the school board
- Strong Olweus student-led bully prevention program
- Two student choice clubs are offered to all students throughout the school year
- Eagle Block is used to provide both enrichment and tiered intervention opportunities every day (G-TIP)
Students have access to learning with high-quality teachers, resources, learning opportunities, supports, and positive options open to all.
- Strong belief by all staff that all students can learn regardless of their race, socio-economic status, or prior academic achievement
- 1:1 program sends devices home with students to encourage learning beyond the school day
- CarMax grant provides Kajeet wireless devices to students without an ability to have Internet at home
- Parents are highly involved with student recognition programs and when discipline issues arise